What’s the best accessory for the spring and summer? You got it — a tan! I’m guilty of doing just about anything for a great tan, whether that’s home self-tanners, or baking my skin by the pool for countless hours. The home self-tanners never gave me the desired color I was looking for and was often really streaky and splotchy. As with laying by the pool, yeah…not so safe. Luckily for me, I was given the wonderful opportunity to try out Shine’s VersaSpa sunless tanning! All of my tanning worries were answered and I’ve left on two occasions with a wonderful, flawless tan!
Wanna know more? Thought so! Let’s start with some…
- Exfoliate! Be sure to shower and exfoliate your skin (especially your hands, elbows, knees, and feet!) before you head in for your session.
- Shave or wax! Along with exfoliating, you should also opt for shaving or waxing prior to your sunless tanning visit rather than after to help extend the length of your tan.
- Wear dark and loose clothing! Each time I’ve gone in, I’ve been sure to wear my comfiest, baggiest sweats so not to have any of the tan rub off. It’s just a safe precaution to take, but not necessary if you’re running to get your tan on during your lunch break, ladies ;)
- Wait to shower! Again, to extend the length and desired shade of your tan, wait to bathe. When I went in for my very first visit, I was told to wait at least 5 hours. If you take a shower any sooner than that and the tan hasn’t fully developed, then it essentially freezes the developing process and your truest tan will not come through.
- Moisturize! Moisturizing is the best way to make your tan last as long as possible!
- Ask the staff! They are so nice and are always willing to show you how things work or give you great recommendations and tips.
- Some other little tips to keep in mind: try not to sweat excessively after (like going straight to the gym after your session), or applying any makeup to your face until after your first shower.
That’s it! It’s really that simple. You’re in and out in 15 minutes and can choose between an instant tan that shows immediately, or the clear (that’s what I chose!), that fully develops in a few hours (and no rubbing off on clothes). To see the results of my sunless tan, check back in Wednesday!
To learn even more and to find a location near you, check them out!